1. : Origins
John Youngs was brewing by 1807; but in partnership
with Jonathan Davey, and styled "Davey and Youngs".
The partnership was dissolved in 1814 and it became
"John Youngs & Co." which was the name until after 1822.
The name "Youngs, Burt & Son" followed by 1830.
In 1845, according to the Official List of that year,
the brewery had 71 tied-houses within the City itself,
second only to Steward & Patteson
(i.e. 17.3% of all major** ties).
Charles Crawshay joined with John Youngs
(Junior) in 1851. Formerly under Richard Crawshay,
the brewery had been at St. Stephen's Gates,
and provided some 25 tied houses to
the Youngs portfolio when it closed.
Charles was living in Hingham by 1890.
The title 'C. & Y.' alternated with 'Y. & C.' until a
further family member joined - a brother,
Robert Carrs Youngs - when the title stabilised as
"Youngs, Crawshay & Youngs".
Needless to say, Norwich folk mostly dropped
the last bit of that name !.
2. : Expansion and Ambition
In August 1864 there was an important acquisition of
the late Charles Weston's brewery. This had been
in St. George's Street; and involved 64 tied houses.
The partnership drawn up in March 1888 specified
that the Crown Brewery was the separate property of
John Youngs the Elder.
By 1890 John Youngs (the Elder??)
was living at 9, Bracondale.
The brewery became a limited company
as late as November 1897, with directors -
In 1900 the company decided to run its own
- John Youngs (Junior??)
- Charles Crawshay
- Walter C. Crawshay
- Charles T. Collier
Architects and Surveyors Department, and
they became pioneers in modernising houses.
"At that time brick floors were common,
sprinkled with sea sand.
There were spittoons, and counter fronts were
provided with a narrow trench at floor level,
to confine a layer of sawdust for those indulging
in the objectionable habit of spitting."
Y.C.&Y. removed spittoons and introduced Lino,
carpets and rugs to such houses and advised their
tenants that a clean floor would be respected by
their customers. (??)
The company built several new properties, omitting -
"the superfluous shapings and mouldings, plate
glass windows and over-ornamented stone work"
to be replaced with -
"much more restrained architecture, restoring to
these houses a dignity to which the true licensed
house is entitled."
Both the R.I.B.A and the Norwich Society
were reported to express approval.
Sadly many of the distinctive houses have been
demolished or heavily remodelled, in recent years.
3. : Brewery Status Factors
By 1914 Youngs' still had only 87 tied-houses
within the City, which was 19.3% of the total
(**for the major brewers only).
At the 1923 London Brewers Exhibition,
Dennis Tyrell, head brewer, received a special
Diploma of Merit. in recognition of
the many trophies won by the brewery
in open competition. At the same exhibition
they won -
In 1935 they were trading under the slogan :-
- Champion Gold Medal
- Gold Cup
- Silver Challenge Cup
Beer is best - gives Life zest :
Youngs and Crawshay's leads the Rest.
Also around 1935/6 an Exhibition of Inn-Signs,
in London, requested the brewery to submit 12 signs.
Their quality and popularity led to a request for -
"any further ones available."
All were hung in prominent positions -
". . . that of the Royal Arms being in the premier
and central place."
Directors in 1937 were Capt. W. S. C. Crawshay
(Chairman), Raymond G Collier and Willam Bustin;
who could bask in the glory of having received -
The brewery in 1937 covered some 3 acres
- 7 First Prize Medals
- 10 Second Prize Medals
- 23 Diplomas of Merit . . . . . all since 1923.
and controlled 5 malthouses.
4. : The End Game
Immediately pre-WWII there were 250 tied-houses,
mainly in East Norfolk and NE Suffolk, along with
five maltings in Norwich; assisted by large
stores in Diss.
Although the Music House
pub was forced to close
in Nov. 1932, the brewery continued to use the
large Norman cellars under the building to store
their vast range of wines and spirits.
Youngs' itself was taken over by Bullards,
along with approx. 250 pubs, in 1958;
and brewing ceased at once.
On 21st April 1965, Mr. W. B. J. Crawshay became
a director of Watney Combe Reid and Co. Ltd. :
(see Watney's). He had previously
been a director of Bullards Brewery.
A photo of the brewery buildings, from across
the river, is on p. 34 of Justly Celebrated Ales..