1 - 6
This brewery was situated just behind the church,|
so is reasonably included in Magdalen Street.
In 1830 Thomas Dawson was an Ale & Porter
Merchant in St. Saviour's Lane; which does not,
of course, prove that he was running a
brewery at the time.
However, by 1839 George Dawson, presumably
In fact George was in charge by 1836; but that
Hubbard remained for a shortish period,
It is uncertain how many successors actually
carried on the brewing tradition; but he was
followed by Edward Warner (listed as a wine,
spirits and porter merchant) then by F. W. Brown
and (son?) L. A. Brown.
By 1867 John Laws was in place, indeed listed as
The pub ownership passed to Grimmer & Co.
James Hubbard arrived at this site, as an
established brewer, by 1850; having left
the nearby Hope Brewery. (see 1. above)
The brewery premises were apparently
In July 1852 the whole lot was up for auction :
James was still listed, in the Lane,
Hubbard having departed once more, perhaps
licensees were all brewers; as they may have been
quite divorced from the brewery as such.
Indeed only one tenant, Wm. Campling, was listed
The licence was dropped at the Annual Licensing
Hubbard continued his brewing career
This was an enterprise already in existence when
James Hubbard arrived; (by 1864) having left
his own enterprise (see Golden Dog above).
His predecessors, John Sursham (by 1856) and
Hubbard's long association with Magdalen Street
By 1890 the neighbouring shoe factory occupied nos.
After 1905 the brewery was absorbed into the
There is an interesting entry in
STANDLEY, Philip :
However, this does not imply that he was still there
It seems to be the case that the Magdalen Street
The brewery had ties to the following pubs :-
Heigham was last listed as a brewer in Magdalen Street in 1854.
1888 was the last year that the brewery was listed.
By then Stannard was running things alone once more.
In the 1783 Directory Thomas Seales was listed at
No. 5 Magdalen Street. As this was under the old,
sequential numbering system, it was probably
nothing to do with the Black Bull pub (modern No. 5).
Seales also was running, in the same year,
a brewery at No. 33 King Street.
Also in 1783 James Beevor was listed at
In 1802 Thomas Cupper was listed at No. 134.
This address may, or may not, relate to later
breweries as detailed above.
Finally, there is mention of J. S. Patteson