In 1805, William Watts was brewing in|
St. Margaret's Plain.
John Arnold was in charge by 1830.
Watts' (presumed) son, James, seems to have
"defected", to join Bullard's new venture
- a few yards up the road - in 1837.
In 1839 the proprietor was Maria Arnold,
then aged 52.
Apart from the brewery "tap", the only tied-house
listed in the 1845 Official List
(alias George IV) in Gildengate.
By 1850 Maria Arnold & Son - the son being
George - were operating the brewery, at
Arnold's Yard - by patent machinery.
By 1859 it was being run by George
and Alfred R. Arnold.
At this time they were agents for H. Meux and Co.,
and wine merchants.
"Arnold & Wyatt" appears in 1865,
being George Arnold and Esdaile Wyatt.
In March 1866 there was a boiler explosion
at the brewery.
An engine driver was killed when his body was -
'hurled into the beck containing six quarters
of boiling wort'.
Continued . . .
The brewery was described as Arnold's
Patent Brewery in 1867 - see above.
Alfred Robert Arnold was back in sole charge
in November 1870
(mis-named, circa 1872, as Robert A. Arnold).
Alfred was listed in 1877 also as a wine
and spirits merchant.
Mary Elizabeth Arnold had the licence in
February 1881, and A. R. Arnold was in charge
The brewery was finally taken over by Lacon's,
of Great Yarmouth, in April 1902; along with
an alleged total - by this time - of 32 tied pubs !.
In February 1932 Lacon's retreated to their
Yarmouth base, and the premises were taken over
by Edward John and Ernest Bullard.
Although - for that reason - brewing may have
ceased at some point well before 1939, it was not
until 23rd December of that year that the licence
for the Brewery Tap was withdrawn, under the
Compensation Act, 1904.
The premises of the brewery were converted to
Bullard's bottling plant/store.
The 1890 Trades Directory defined St. Margaret's
Plain as commencing beyond No. 52,
i.e. not next to the brewery (No. 48).