(Paras. 1 to 8)
Norwich Pubs in 1914
The Directory Listings
|2. The Leader : 3. Other Breweries||
5. The Hotels
: 6. Other Free Outlets
7. Summary : 8. Footnotes
1. : Historical Juncture1914 was chosen as a benchmark year
for obvious reasons :
This benchmark has been used as the
There had already been some nine years of
2. : The LeaderThe runaway leader in the 1845 List, from the
'Big' breweries, had been Steward & Patteson
with 183 houses and almost 44% of all ties.
By 1914, however, Bullard's had edged ahead
133 to 126.
Plus some intermediate figures for August 1890
- by far - had fallen to under 17% of the total*,
despite a useful upsurge since 1890.
Conversely, the "upstart" brewery had advanced
remarkably - from the comparable figure of
only 8.2% in 1845; ignoring Lacon's.
3. : Other BreweriesAs for local breweries in 1914, the answer is
just two : Cooper-Brown of East Dereham,
who were at the St. Giles' Gate Stores;
and T. S. Bidwell & Sutton of Thetford, at the
Corn Exchange, St. George's Bridge Street.
However the latter pub closed in February 1915.
(Also see Grapes Hotel in para. 4 below).
In 1914 Allsopp & Co. (Burton on Trent)
The identical total for Lacon's is, in fact, an
amalgamation of 25 pubs under Grimmer's
and 6 under Arnold's.
[ In the 1845 List Grimmer's pubs were
Also 7 pubs had been listed in 1890 under
4. : The MerchantsWines and Spirits merchants, some being
important businesses, have always formed
a significant part of the free licensed trade.
In 1914, these were principally :-
trading as Bidwell & Co.; but also had owned,
for some 9 years, the said Grapes Hotel.
However the latter was still listed in 1914 under
Allsopp; who had taken over in 1890.
Premises formerly occupied by merchants,
5. : The HotelsHotels rightly tend to cherish their status as
Free Houses, which in 1914 were listed -
6. : Other Free OutletsHeading the more general list are three
establishments whose principal function
was that of a licensed restaurant :-
Thorpe Station and City Station.
Other free pubs which - even back in 1914 -
Harcourts  : St. Benedict's Gate
Earl of Cardigan : 56 Orchard Street
Red Rose  : Back of the Inns
Fruiterers : The Walk
Shakespeare  : Theatre Street
Golden Ball : Cattle Market
Ten Bells : St. Benedict's Street
Grocers' Arms  : 135 King Street
Volunteer Stores : Chapel Field Road
7. : SummaryPubs tied to the 5 main brewers total
450, as per the %age table in para. 2
The various categories of Free Houses,
detailed above, total 35, i.e. only 7.2 %
(This compares with a mysterious figure
of 18 in the 1890 survey).
The grand total for 1914 is therefore 485.