Bottom Back to Listing
Opened on 8th November 1999, the house was
stated to be the 77th Yates' branch in the country.
(Yates Bros. Wine Lodges plc)
This national chain was a well-respected one, and
By August 2004 it had a non-smoking area -
As the Slug & Lettuce from May 2008,
there was provision for two real ales.
The full width of the premises, at the rear, had
The 'garden', however, consisted
On 4th May 2010 the owner, Laura Knight,
based in Holt, announced that she had sold the
Orgasmic Café chain - which she started
in 2001, including branches in York and Lincoln -
to Inventive Leisure Ltd, owners of the
She had expected the Café to close at the end of
Based on her income from the sale,|
Ms. Knight declared the ownership change as -
Very positive news for Norwich and the economy;
But does the City really want them?
The pub had a long-serving landlord,|
William Surflin, between 1842 (at the latest) and 1875.
He was also a plumber, glazier and painter.
In 1851 he was aged 38.
Another such was Jabez Widdows,
A photographic record can be found in :
YOUNG, John Riddington :
The Inns & Taverns of Old Norwich, page 86.
An older photo of Bank Street is in
This hotel was built in the "Flemish style" of local|
The original owner was Sir Kenneth Hagar Kemp,
who also took up the licence on 9th October 1897.
Interestingly, he made way for a new licensee very
Owners by 1924 were Royal Hotel Norwich Ltd.
Whitbreads had no intention to keep the hotel open,
However, the hotel's public bar (on the Bank Plain
side) was allowed to re-open in 1989; and this
has changed hands several times since.
In the late 1990s Chicago Rock closed; but had
One of The Royal's claims to fame was to
A photographic record of 1935 can be found in :
book, page 76, for a possible
explanation of the pub name.
A less convincing list (because it contains SIX items) is :-
Blue Boar Lane is clearly shown on|
Samuel King's map of 1766.
Although it runs in a pronounced curve, much of
It may have been an early case of|
demolition for major street changes.
At all events, there are no further records after 1794.
Also see Isaac Saint and the United Society.